As expected, American Hustle won the SAG award for ensemble, indicating it has broad support within the industry:
- Male Actor in a Leading Role: Matthew McConaughey, Dallas Buyers Club
- Female Actor in a Leading Role: Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine
- Male Actor in a Supporting Role: Jared Leto, Dallas Buyers Club
- Female Actor in a Supporting Role: Lupita Nyong'o, 12 Years a Slave
- Ensemble Cast: American Hustle
- Stunt Ensemble: Lone Survivor
Happily, I predicted every acting award right! What this means now is that, along with frontrunners Cate Blanchett and Jared Leto, Matthew McConaughey steps into that circle, as he gave an excited and exuberant speech and probably won himself even more support from voters, who are now getting used to seeing him up on that stage. And I also think Lupita Nyong'o will now become the frontrunner in Supporting Actress. I never believed Jennifer Lawrence was going to pull off two Oscar wins in a row at her age, and Nyong'o is the clear alternative and a good place to award 12 Years a Slave as whole. As for the Best Picture race, American Hustle may be the frontrunner now, but it all comes down to the Producer's Guild, which votes tomorrow night. The PGA uses the same exact ballot as the Academy (a preferential one), and has correctly lined up with Best Picture ever since the field expanded to ten nominees four years ago. Whatever movie wins there will become the default movie to beat.