Whew. Five more regional and third tier critics organizations today, but hey, Emma Stone's finally on the board! Yes, she finally wins Best Actress from some critics, with both Detroit and Utah going for her performance in La La Land. Maybe it's still a race after all.
- Picture: Manchester by the Sea
- Director: Kenneth Lonergan (Manchester by the Sea)
- Actress: Natalie Portman (Jackie)
- Actor: Casey Affleck (Manchester by the Sea)
- Supporting Actress: (tie) Viola Davis (Fences) & Naomie Harris (Moonlight)
- Supporting Actor: Jeff Bridges (Hell or High Water)
- Original Screenplay: Hell or High Water
- Adapted Screenplay: Arrival
- Foreign-Language Film: The Handmaiden
- Documentary: OJ: Made in America
- Animated Movie: Zootopia
- SciFi, Fantasy & Horror: Arrival
- LGBT Film: Moonlight
Kansas City's choices are pretty boring, although I believe aside from NBR, this is the first group of any kind to give Manchester the Best Picture win, which is interesting. It even got director here, too.
- BEST FILM: “La La Land”
- BEST DIRECTOR: Damien Chazelle, “La La Land”
- BEST ACTOR: Casey Affleck, “Manchester by the Sea”
- BEST ACTRESS: Isabelle Huppert, “Elle”
- BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Mahershala Ali, “Moonlight”
- BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Viola Davis, “Fences”
- BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: “Love and Friendship”
- BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: “Hell or High Water”
- BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY: “La La Land”
- BEST EDITING: “Jackie”
- BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN: “The Handmaiden”
- BEST VISUAL EFFECTS: “The Jungle Book”
- BEST MUSIC SCORE: “La La Land”
- BEST MUSIC SOUNDTRACK: “Sing Street”
- BEST SONG: “Audition (The Fools Who Dream)” from “La La Land”
- BEST ACTION: “Captain America: Civil War”
- BEST ANIMATED FEATURE: “Zootopia”
- BEST COMEDY: “Hail, Caesar!”
- BEST DOCUMENTARY: “I Am Not Your Negro”
- BEST HORROR/SCI-FI: “The Witch”
- BEST FOREIGN FILM: “Elle”
Meanwhile, KC's sister city goes for La La Land all down the line, so maybe they were trying to be different. These guys also made a great pick in documentary, with I Am Not Your Negro taking the prize, along with an unconventional choice in Love & Friendship for Adapted Screenplay.
- Best Picture: "La La Land"
- Directing: Barry Jenkins, "Moonlight"
- Lead Actor, Male: Casey Affleck, "Manchester by the Sea"
- Lead Actor, Female: Emma Stone, "La La Land"
- Supporting Actor, Female: Viola Davis, "Fences"
- Supporting Actor, Male: (tie) Mahershala Ali, "Moonlight," John Goodman, "10 Cloverfield Lane."
- Original Screenplay: "Hell or High Water"
- Adapted Screenplay: "Moonlight"
- Cinematography: "La La Land"
- Original Score: "La La Land"
- Documentary Feature: "Cameraperson"
- Animated Feature: "Kubo and the Two Strings"
- Non-English Language Film: "The Handmaiden" (South Korea)
Now here's where Emma finally picks up an award, with the Best Actress prize from the Utah film critics, who liked La La Land enough to reward its lead actress with it, making it her first win since the Volpi Cup at the Venice Film Festival. Nice.
- BEST PICTURE: LA LA LAND
- BEST DIRECTOR: DAMIEN CHAZELLE – LA LA LAND
- BEST ACTOR: CASEY AFFLECK – MANCHESTER BY THE SEA
- BEST ACTRESS: EMMA STONE – LA LA LAND
- BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: JEFF BRIDGES – HELL OR HIGH WATER
- BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: VIOLA DAVIS - FENCES & GRETA GERWIG – 20TH CENTURY WOMEN (tie)
- BEST ENSEMBLE: 20TH CENTURY WOMEN
- BEST BREAKTHROUGH: KELLY FREMON CRAIG – THE EDGE OF SEVENTEEN – DIRECTOR/WRITER
- BEST SCREENPLAY: LA LA LAND
- BEST DOCUMENTARY: O.J.: MADE IN AMERICA
Another one for Stone! She had a good two days all of a sudden, even if these wins are from third tier critics organizations. The final group, the SE critics, went for Moonlight and divided up the rest among the usual suspects.
SOUTHEASTERN FILM CRITICS
- BEST ACTOR: Casey Affleck (Manchester by the Sea)
- BEST ACTRESS: Natalie Portman (Jackie)
- BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Mahershala Ali (Moonlight)
- BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Viola Davis (Fences)
- BEST ENSEMBLE: Moonlight
- BEST DIRECTOR: (tie) – Damien Chazelle (La La Land) & Barry Jenkins (Moonlight)
- BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Manchester by the Sea
- BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: Moonlight
- BEST DOCUMENTARY: I Am Not Your Negro
- BEST FOREIGN-LANGUAGE FILM: The Handmaiden
- BEST ANIMATED FILM: Zootopia
- BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY: La La Land
- BEST PICTURE: Moonlight